Police Briefs 08-27-2014


At approximately midnight on Monday morning, officers responded to Rand Street for reports of a person attempting to gain entry to a house and of shots fired.

Upon arrival, officers found the victim, a 61-year-old male, and the suspect, Eric Rumson, 34, of Everett, wrestling inside the house. Officers took control of the scene and recovered a stolen firearm. The homeowner, his wife, and Rumson were subsequently transported to the hospital.

Following an investigation by Revere Police and the Massachusetts State Police, Rumson was placed into custody and charged with Discharging a Firearm within 500 ft. of a building, armed home invasion (Firearm), Carry a Firearm without a License, Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon on a Person 60+ years, Assault with a Dangerous Weapon on a Person 60+ years, Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, Malicious Destruction of Property Over $250, Carrying a Loaded Firearm, and Trafficking in Class B Drugs.

Rumson will be arraigned in Chelsea District Court following his release from the hospital.


A 73-year-old man is believed to have shot two men in front of his home when the men returned for a confrontation after being kicked out of a party on Oak Tree Lane early last Saturday morning.

According to the District Attorney’s Office, a 21-year-old man got into a fight at a party in the 73-year-old man’s home. The young man was kicked out of the party and told not to come back.

The young man, police said, returned with his stepfather, 50, and proceeded to allegedly throw rocks and brandish baseball bats in front of the home.

The 73-year-old man then retrieved a handgun that had belonged to a deceased relative and went outside to tell the duo to leave.

Outside, as the men came at him, he shot them.

The 21-year-old received critical injuries, but did survive those injuries.

The young man did contact the Journal on Tuesday saying that the 73-year-old man, Robert DeStefano, had simply fired on him. He said the official facts to date were in no way correct.

However, he was not able to elaborate at that time as he was still in the hospital at Mass General.

The 50-year-old man was shot in the back and arm by DeStefano.

So far, police have not charged DeStefano with the shooting, but did charge him with unlawful possession of a firearm in a home. That charge is a misdemeanor with no mandatory jail time.

The DA’s Office said the investigation is ongoing.


A Lynn man was arrested early Sunday morning after driving erratically and nearly striking police officers after he left the parking lot of the Squire Lounge.

Police stopped the man on Copeland Circle and believed him to be intoxicated. After a field sobriety test, he was placed under arrest for driving drunk.

After a search of his person, police found a large sum of cash, multiple cell phones and cocaine.

Lawrence Nagle, 24, of Lynn, was charged with Operating Under the Influence of Liquor, Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle and illegal Possession with the Intent to Distribute (Class B).


Due to tips from the public after police publicized surveillance video, Revere officers were able to arrest Christopher Snow, 37, of Revere for the July 8 robbery on Squire Road.

Snow allegedly entered the store and passed a note to a clerk demanding cash. He got the money and fled with an unknown quantity of it.

He was arrested on Monday, Aug. 25, and charged with unarmed robbery and two warrants.


Revere Police saw the successful guilty plea on July 7 of a Revere man who is now convicted of raping a close family member.

Eduardo Pagan was sentenced to 4 to 7 years for the crime, with three years probation.

In March 2010 he was charged with the crime, but fled to Connecticut. Revere Police went to Connecticut and interviewed him – which resulted in an arrest. However, Pagan made bail and fled to Puerto Rico. Some time later he was found on the island territory and arrested again.

He pled guilty to the crime of rape of a child this month.

Sentencing guidelines are apparently 8-12 years for the crime.

Police said they were happy to close the case, but not satisfied with the short jail time in light of the heinous crimes.


After receiving several threatening phone calls at the shop, a worker at Brother’s Auto Body was attacked on Tuesday, Aug. 19, by two black males.

Around 4 p.m., the men entered the shop and attacked the employee. He was sent to the hospital for a dislocated shoulder. The assault was captured on video and Revere Police are investigating.

The threatening phone calls were in relation to a car accident.


Revere Police arrested a Revere man Saturday noon after he crashed into several cars and fled the scene.

Around 11:48 a.m., the man rear ended a motorist on Squire Road and then fled the scene. The victim of the crash chased the man to Malden and Newhall Streets, where the driver smashed into a second car.

Police arrived and witnesses were able to identify the man as the operator.

Shawn Holland, 47, homeless, was charged with leaving the scene of property damage and operating a motor vehicle with a license suspended.


On Aug. 20, Christopher Rivera, 22, of Chelsea was arrested following an investigation into housebreaks of tornado affected homes on Taft Street. Rivera was charged by Joint Venture with three counts of Breaking and Entering a Building at Nighttime for a Felony, Attempt to Commit a Crime (Breaking and Entering a Building at Nighttime for a Felony), and Possession of Burglarious Tools.

Last week, police arrested another man from Chelsea after a chase. Rivera was identified and held by Chelsea Police at the time but was released after no connection could be made. An ensuing investigation later led to his arrest.


Joseph Scarpellini, 33, from Everett turned himself in to Revere Police for two outstanding warrants at 5:30 a.m. Saturday.

Scarpellini had warrants out of Chelsea District Court for Indecent A&B, Possession of Class C and Class E, and Breaking and Entering Night Time out of Malden District Court. The Chelsea warrants stemmed from an arrest in 2012 by Revere Police when he was alleged to have inappropriately grabbed a 14-year-old female by the hips and pulled her towards him at the Beachmont Train Station.


Nelson E. Rodriguez, 19, of Chelsea, was arrested on charges of receiving a stolen motor vehicle, possession of burglarious instruments, leaving the scene of an accident after causing property damage, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, larceny of a motor vehicle, assault by means of a dangerous weapon, making an attempt to commit a crime, and three counts of brewing & entering into a building in the nighttime with intent to commit a felony.

Jinna Marie Hacunda, 27, of 146A Newman St., was arrested on an outstanding warrant.


A 16 year old juvenile was arrested on charges of assault & battery and malicious destruction of property over $250.

Marshall N. Corrado, 43, of 9 Sachem St., was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Donald R. Frye Jr., 51, of 531 Revere St., was arrested on a charge of assault & battery.


Tristan Leigh Buechs, 29, of 15 Roland Rd., was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Maurice Coates, 37, of Haverhill, was arrested on an outstanding warrant.


Robert J. DiStefano, 73, of 8 Oak Tree Lane, was arrested on a charge of possession of a firearm without an FID card.

Joseph R. Scarpellini, 33, of Everett, was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Shawn T. Holland, 47, listed as homeless, was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of an accident after causing property damage and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license (subseq. offense).


Lawrence M. Nagle Jr., 24, of Lynn, was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of liquor, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and illegal possession of a Class B controlled narcotic substance with intent to distribute.

Michael Lopez, 32, of 41 Revere St., was arrested on a charge of assault & battery.

Eric K. Smith-Moses, 18, of 250 Broadway, was arrested o charges of carrying a dangerous weapon and illegal possession of a knife in violation of the city ordinance.

A 17 year old juvenile was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.