The City of Revere’s Substance Use Disorder Initiatives (SUDI) Office encourages residents and businesses alike to participate in International Overdose Awareness Day (IOAD); a worldwide event to advance public awareness about the opioid epidemic. Furthermore, IOAD aims to reduce stigma associated with drug-related fatalities, as well as promote evidence-based drug policies that save lives and increase public safety. To learn more about International Overdose Awareness Day visit https://www.overdoseday.com
In recognition of IOAD, the SUDI Office will be collecting 4-by-7-inch photographs of individuals whose lives were cut short due to an overdose. These photos will be displayed in SUDI’s windows throughout the month of August, followed by a brief memorial that will take place on Wednesday, Aug. 28, at 5 p.m.. In addition to attending the event, SUDI asks community members and business owners to demonstrate support for the families and friends who’ve lost loved ones by displaying purple ribbons on front doors, mailboxes, car antennas, etc.
– 4-by-7-inch photos submitted in a sealed envelope:
• Mail to 437 Revere St., Revere, MA 02151
• In-person at the SUDI Office
• SUDI mail-slot located in City Hall (Water Dept./Basement Level)
– SUDI will accept photos by email if extenuating circumstances prevent submission
– SUDI will provide purple ribbon upon request. Please contact Jennifer Duggan at (781) 629-4158 or send an email to [email protected] to inquire
– The SUDI Office invites family members interested in sharing a personal story about their loved one at the 08/28 event. Please contact CarrieAnn Salemme @ (617) 922-6069 or email [email protected] for further details.