Market Basket May Open Nov. 1

The Northgate Market Basket could be opening its doors as soon as Nov. 1 if things go according to plan, Mayor Dan Rizzo said this week.

The long-awaited store looks to be an anchor tenant of the mall and an economic engine for the area – increasing foot traffic to other businesses as well.

“I have been in contact with Market Basket executives that are committed to opening their store here in Revere as early as November 1,” said the mayor. “They will employ close to 400 people and offer Revere residents with a real choice as it pertains to their weekly grocery shopping. I’m sure they will be a great addition to Northgate and our business community.”

The store was slated to open one year ago this month, but suddenly things took a turn for the worse and there was an indefinite delay announced.

For the past year, the fully completed and fully permitted – yet completely empty – grocery store sat dormant. The only activity was a 24-hour security guard watching over the empty supermarket.

Things got worse this past summer when the company plunged into turmoil with its ownership. However, with the sale of the company to its former CEO, Arthur T. Demoulas, things have taken a turn for the better at Northgate after a year of patience.

Ward 6 Councillor Charlie Patch said people in the area have been very patient, and he hopes that the projections about Nov. 1 are accurate.

“I think it’s great news and the store will be a big plus for Revere and for Northgate,” he said. “Hopefully they’re right and it will be on Nov. 1 because I honestly got more calls about that store than I got about the casino.”

He added that he sees the store as a great engine for generating foot traffic at the mall and bringing in new retailers.

“I think it will be great for the other businesses and hopefully we’ll see it bring in some higher end retail stores to that mall,” he said.

10 comments for “Market Basket May Open Nov. 1

1. Josh
    September 30, 2014 at 9:05 am

It was stalled for a year because the Arthur S side of the family put the brakes on expansion. I’m glad the greedy scumbags are out

2. Mojo
    October 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm

To bad is was Arthur T’s side that were the real scumbags and started the whole mess..check the facts.

3. Italod
    October 3, 2014 at 7:29 am

Looks like it’s becoming stocked as we write. Bet that they will indeed open up by November 1, just in time for the upcoming holiday feasts-buying period. 🙂

4. The_Hitter
    October 5, 2014 at 3:14 pm

There was activity as I drove by Saturday (or, more accurately, in stop and go traffic), but I couldn’t tell what. I feel sorry for Stop and Shop when they open.

5. SAFAH
    October 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm

SO EXCITING!! NO MORE CHELSEA MB!!!
    PRICERITE WILL DIE!!! YAYYYYY
    I LOVE ME SOME MARKET BASKET BY MY HOUSE AND RIGHT NEXT TO MY GYM!!!!!! WOHOOOOOO

6. SAFAH
    October 14, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I HATEEEEE PRICERITE!!! I HATE IT!!!! HATEEEE ITTTT!!!!!

7. scorpio02150
    October 15, 2014 at 2:48 pm

please share them, i’d like to read them.

8. alan
    October 21, 2014 at 7:40 am

the people at price rite are great and where else can you buy sliced turkey for 2.00 to 3.99 a pound? That’s better than Anything you can get anywhere else…cheapest Stop and Shop has sliced turkey for is like 7 per pound. I saw prosciutto for 16 a pound at stop and shop they had it for 6. What’s wrong with that? I think Price Rite will do more business With Market Basket open as more people will be in the area. Stop and shop and Shaws have been gouging us forever so they deserve what they get.

9. Sarah
    October 21, 2014 at 9:45 am

Does anyone know how to apply to this store??

10. NoTyme4BS
    November 1, 2014 at 10:57 am

go to the store and ask for an application @ customer service.
    . The store is open.