Boys basketball team downs Marblehead

The Revere High boys basketball team put together a solid two way effort to earn a 52-45 win over Marblehead at the RHS fieldhouse Friday evening.

The Patriots trailed at the half, 23-21, but turned that deficit into a 39-35 advantage after three quarters. Revere remained in control the rest of the way, refusing to allow Marblehead to mount a serious threat thanks to the Pats’ six for nine foul shooting in the final period.

Trey Weathers led Revere with 18 points, followed by Matt Handy with 12, Greg Cabral with seven, Ed Maglio with six, Will Weathers with five, and Jonathan Muteba with four.

“The team played very well against a good Marblehead team,” said RHS head coach Rick Hayes. “We especially played hard on defense,” Hayes added, noting that two Marblehead players who average in double figures were held to three and four points on the night.

However, the coach did not have too many nice words to say about his team’s effort in the aftermath of their 69-55 loss at Peabody on Sunday.

“We play to the level of our competition,” said Hayes. “Peabody is a team that we should be able to beat, but we don’t seem to play with the same kind of intensity that we do against teams that are better than they are.”

However, Revere suffered an even bigger loss when leading scorer Trey Weathers left the game early in the second period with a knee injury and did not return. The Pats were trailing by just two when Trey left, but were down by nine by the half.

Cabral stepped up and assumed some of the scoring burden, hitting for 20 points on the night. Handy and Maglio added eight apiece. Trey Weathers scored six before he left. Will Weathers chipped in with five points, Don Boyce and Scooby Mageza added three, and Frank Colleran had two points.

Last Tuesday evening’s game with Saugus epitomized the tough luck that Revere has had this season when the Pats came out on the short end of a 72-71 decision thanks to a foul call against Revere in the final second of play.

Trey Weathers had given Revere a three point lead when he hit a clutch basket to make it 71-68 with under a minute to play. However, Saugus came down and scored on their ensuing possession to make it 71-70, setting the stage for the dramatic ending.

Revere then got the ball and Hayes called a timeout with 20 seconds to play. “We talked about protecting the ball and making sure we made good passes,” said the coach. However, Revere turned the ball over, giving Saugus a chance. The Pats played an aggressive man to man defense and appeared to have made the big defensive stop as the seconds ticked off.

However, a Saugus player finally took a desperation shot, and though the Revere defender was standing with his hands straight up, the ref whistled a foul with just 0.7 showing on the clock. The Sachem then made both free throws to snatch the victory.

Trey Weathers had a big game with 24 points and three other Pats reached double figures: Handy with 16, Cabral with 14, and Will Weathers with 10. Chris Adreani hit for three points and Maglio and Paul Norton added two apiece.

The Pats, who now are 2-8 at the halfway mark of the season, but who could just as easily be 5-5 or 6-4, will be back in action tonight (Wednesday) when they host Chelsea. Hayes and his crew will travel next door to Winthrop on Friday and then host Swampscott next Tuesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.