Theft and custodian suspensions at Whelan School

A number of custodians at the Whelan School have been suspended without pay in connection with the alleged theft of 26 heavy copper doors which were apparently sold to scrap metal dealers in Chelsea. The doors, which came out of the old Whelan School and were to be used in a new school being built,  had been stored inside the new Whelan facility.

According to videos examined by the superintendent of schools, and others, which were made inside the new Whelan School, custodians are shown carrying the heavy copper doors from the facility and placed into a truck.

City officials, including the mayor, are investigating the entire series of events and action is forthcoming.

6 comments for “Theft and custodian suspensions at Whelan School

1. Paul Revere
    September 28, 2007 at 10:57 pm

It’s OK for the DPW Workers?
    For Peter Martino and Jimmy Nigro?
    For Mike Ciarlone?
    For Officer Pat Coppola?

It’s OK if your last name is Giannino or Goodwin?

But it’s not OK for these three poor souls.
    Wait and see how unfair Revere is. They’ll be fired!

2. Paul Revere
    September 28, 2007 at 6:57 pm

It’s OK for the DPW Workers?
    For Peter Martino and Jimmy Nigro?
    For Mike Ciarlone?
    For Officer Pat Coppola?

It’s OK if your last name is Giannino or Goodwin?

But it’s not OK for these three poor souls.
    Wait and see how unfair Revere is. They’ll be fired!

3. Michelle Ridley
    September 29, 2007 at 5:15 pm

That’s sad because my daughter went to the Whelan School and she loved it until we moved to California. I hope that the Mayor and other’s do what they need to do in order to punish the workers!

4. Michelle Ridley
    September 29, 2007 at 1:15 pm

5. Insider
    November 7, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I am incensed at the fact that the DPW employees involved in the “drain laying controversy” only got a two day suspension, but, the Whelan Custodians were “FORCED” to resign for disposing of junk. It’s not that I wanted the dpw guys to lose their jobs, it just shows how ridiculous the punishment was to the Custodians. I wish the Journal would have investigated the Custodian issue further. Those guys really got screwed.

6. Insider