Lodie pleads guilty, but won’t receive additional jail time

Photo by Kingcast — A key figure in Revere Police Officer Dan Talbot’s murder trial – Derek Lodie – has escaped additional jail time for a violent incident on Cooledge Street that happened just a few days before the Talbot murder, and also ended up briefly imprisoning an innocent man.

Lodie, 20, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault for his role in a September 23, 2007 incident during which he attacked three men, stabbing two of them.

He was sentenced to 4-6 years in jail for the stabbing, but the sentence is to be served concurrently with a sentence he is already serving for his role in the Talbot murder. It means that he will have no extra time added to his current sentence, therefore incurring no real penalty for the incident.

His original charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped.

Once again, Lodie was represented by Boston attorney J.W. ‘Jay’ Carney Jr. Afterward, Carney said he preferred not to comment on the current case.

Talbot was murdered on September 29, 2007, and Lodie pleaded guilty to an accessory charge in October 2009. He was sentenced to 8-12 years in State Prison.

Assistant District Attorney Amy Galatis noted that she was aware of Lodie’s prior conviction and said that the stabbing case “is not related to [the Talbot] case in any way.”

She recommended that Lodie serve 4-6 years in State Prison after he completes his current sentence. Nevertheless, Superior Court Judge John Cratsley imposed the recommended sentence, but to be served at the same time as the 8-12-year sentence for Talbot.

Galatis told the court that on the evening of the stabbing, “three young men were walking in the area of Cooledge Street in Revere when they were approached by Lodie.”

Lodie engaged the three men in a verbal argument, and “lunged” at one of the victims, whom she described as “the smallest of the three.” When the two other victims attempted to defend their friend, Lodie stabbed them, before running into a housing development nearby.

One of the male victims, now 21, sustained three stab wounds to the area of his abdomen and chest. A second male victim, now 22, sustained a slice on his thumb. The third male victim, whom Lodie had first targeted, was not stabbed.

Witnesses called 911, and assisted the victims to a responding ambulance. Responding Revere Police officers arrived on the scene, and spoke to individuals at the scene.

One of the individuals police spoke to that day also figured prominently in the Talbot murder trial, though the DA never charged that individual in the Talbot case. The man, Michael Picardi, 23, was an associate of Lodie’s, and allegedly spoke to police on September 23 and purposefully gave them the name of another individual, who was not involved, as the perpetrator of the stabbing. That information led police officers to seek out and obtain a warrant for that individual, who was subsequently charged. That man was cleared two months after the incident.

Picardi is charged with accessory after the fact and misleading police under the witness intimidation statute for his statements to police on that day.

Picardi is due in court on those charges September 3.

224 comments for “Lodie pleads guilty, but won’t receive additional jail time

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.